Miller Park is named after Lieutenant Henry Miller the first Commandant of the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement. It was declared parkland in 1980 due to its historical significance as the main point of access to the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement.
Throughout its history the site has been a grassy thoroughfare between William Street and Queen’s Wharf Road, however from the 1850s onwards it also provided access to the Commissariat Store’s middle floor through a doorway cut through the western wall. This was to avoid access to the ground floor of the building which continued to be used as a store.
The area was redeveloped and landscaped as part of the extensive renovations undertaken to restore the Commissariat Store between 1978 and 1981. A new set of stairs was built and most of a wall which predated 1838 was replaced although one section of the original wall was left adjacent to the former State Library driveway next door.
As part of the world-wide celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Girl Guides movement, Queensland Guides raised money for a flagpole to be erected in Miller Park on 22 February 1986 as lasting tribute to the pioneers of the Guiding movement.
The stairs through Miller Park are still used by those wishing to access Queen’s Wharf Road from William Street.
LT. HENRY MILLER
Lieutenant Henry Miller of the 40th regiment was sent to Australia from England in 1823 and became the first Commandant of the Moreton Bay Penal Colony in 1824. Prior to coming to Queensland, Miller had served under the Duke of Wellington in the Battle of Waterloo and taken part in the unsuccessful attack on New Orleans.
Although the first settlement was established at Redcliffe in 1824, it was decided for various reasons to move the colony inland to the present site on the Brisbane River.
Once his term as Commandant was over Miller moved to Hobart and lived there working for the government until his death on 10 January 1866.
The site of Miller Park is opposite the old King’s (renamed Queen’s in 1837) Wharf where convicts, officers and suppliers were deposited upon arrival at the new colony.